SUNstainability ~ part of the mission of Sunshine + Saltwater.
Each and every day I make decisions that impact our world in a positive way - it's a goal I set for myself long ago back in high school.
I am a firm believer that every little small act adds up to HUGE results and these are a few of the things I do to keep our world beautiful and healthy.👇
- Turing off the light when you leave a room and switching to LED Bulbs (except in your Easy Bake Oven - you still need the old school ones for that). 🤣
- Cutting each and ever plastic 6-pack rings so wildlife doesn't choke or get caught in them.
- Using reusable bags -OR- recycling the ones you have because you forgot to bring your reusable bags.
- Shipping your products in eco-friendly bags or recycled boxes.
- Creating "made to order" garments or similar products to help reduce textile waste.
- Ordering goods and supplies from small businesses in close proximity so that you can help reduce the carbon footprint of shipping the goods to you.
- Take a bag with you each time you walk on the beach or in your neighborhood and pick up trash - it may not be your trash, but it's your planet!!
So even if you think to yourself - How can the small things I do each day save the ocean, the beaches, my community, our planet...?
THEY ADD UP + MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Keeping our beaching and waterways clean is extremely important to me since they are my favorite places on our planet.
Make your next beach trip fun, earth-friendly and with sustainability in mind.
Take Out What You Take In
You've heard it before, but leaving only footprints really is the most important part - take out what you take in!! And if you are a smoker that includes your BUTTS - check out more about Hold Onto Your Butt, the Surfrider Foundations movement to help eliminate cigarette butts from our beaches.
Avoid Single-Use Plastic
If and when you can avoid single-use plastic. This includes items such as straws, water bottles, and grocery bags. A reusable water bottle is one of the easiest ways to avoid buying drinks in plastic bottles. If you do use single-use plastic, make sure to recycle it.
ALWAYS Bring A Garbage Bag
Most beaches have trash bins at the exit and having a trash bag on the beach with you is the easiest way to gather up all your trash (and any other trash you may see that was left by others). Make a trash bag part of your daily supplies you bring to the beach.
Ocean + Reef Safe Sunscreen
The options for these types of sunscreens is growing. Mineral sunscreen is a great option that is eco-friendly and reef safe.
Support Local Eco-Friendly Organizations
These organizations are working hard to protect our beaches, oceans and the environment and they need our help! There are a number of great ways to support them, such as donating money or time.
You can also support and buy eco-friendly products that are made by local businesses!!
What small acts do you do to help support our oceans and beaches?